Hot Tin Roof Communications is in the business of sharing stories about Australian agriculture and helping to support a sustainable, profitable and resilient industry.
Principal, Catriona Nicholls (Cat) is passionate about delivering complex content without over-complicating the message. Through Hot Tin Roof Communications, Cat wants to support the research-to-farm path to adoption, ensure consumers appreciate what it takes to sustain our world and encourage young Australians to consider a career in agriculture.
Cat started working in agricultural communications as a project officer for the farmer-owned, not-for-profit agricultural research and publishing organisation — Kondinin Group. During the next 10 years she developed a broad set of skills and knowledge across multiple agricultural industries and gained an insight into effective communication techniques through her roles as Science Editor of Farming Ahead magazine, author and project manager of more than 10 of Kondinin’s award-winning WORKBOOT SERIES publications and for three years as Publishing Services Manager — delivering highly effective publishing services for clients such as the GRDC, MLA, AWI, RIRDC and the former FFI CRC.
During the early 2000s Cat also contracted her services to agricultural training organisation — Training Improvements — to deliver one-day workshops to rural participants on time management, project management communication and negotiations skills. She has also facilitated a number of workshops and meetings for clients such as NSW DPI, Dairy Futures CRC and The Graham Centre for Agricultural Innovation.
In 2003 Cat and her family moved to Tasmania and during 2009 Cat established Hot Tin Roof Communications.
Cat works with a team of experienced, skilled and insightful communicators and graphic designers deliver products that make a difference.
Hot Tin Roof Communications provides the following services to a broad range of agricultural sectors:
- Publications and project management
- Writing, editing, proofreading, photography
- Workshop and meeting facilitation
- Educational resource development
- Communication strategies
- Online content development
- More than 17 years hands-on experience in agricultural research, education and extension, publishing and communications.
- An ability to convert complex technical content into engaging, easily-understood, relevant and practical messages.
- A strong network of agricultural contacts, including R,D &E, industry and producers.
- A combination of a tertiary and practical background in broadacre agriculture.
- A willingness to listen to your needs, understand your objectives and deliver outcomes that exceed your expectations.
- Sound time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines.
- An eye for detail and a sound understanding of the correct and effective use of the English language.
- A team of talented designers who can capture the attention of your target market and support complex messages with easy-to-digest visuals.
“During the 10 years I’ve worked with Cat, I’ve continually admired her ability to simplify even the most complex project to produce an outcome that exceeds what I thought was possible. Cat has been an integral partner in the development of the GRDC’s Stored Grain fact sheets and booklets, providing growers with information-rich resources, which are easy to follow. I have no hesitation in recommending her services.”
Chris Warrick, Primary Business — Candid Consulting Services